Thursday, March 29, 2012

Peaceable Kingdoms

For today´s art exam my kids got to learn about Edward Hicks and his Peaceable Kingdoms. I was a little nervous at first, not knowing how many of them would be excited about the drawing or understand the meaning behind their pictures. Silly Miss. They were totally into it! We read a little bit about Edward Hicks and the motivation behind his work. Then we read Isaiah 11:6-8 and Isaiah 65:25, which according to my research were his inspiration. The end of Isaiah 65:25 says, "They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain." I wish I could have recorded some of the responses when we discussed the holy mountain. Some of the kids were so eager to get right to work, and had their mountains drawn before we´d finished talking. Others were slower to start, but we all seemed to enjoy this morning´s art class.

I was so thrilled to see how creative some of them got. Things at school have been a little tense lately, and with this being exam week the kids have been pretty drained. It was so nice to let go and share a fun hour with them. It is such an indescribable feeling to wander around the room and share in the children´s joy for their work, and see how proud they are of their little masterpieces. I love getting to motivate and positively reward their bursts of creativity. They really impressed me with their opinions on what it means to neither harm nor destroy. Not having teaching experience I´m not sure what kids are supposed to be like at this age, but mine really never cease to amaze me. With the fourth quarter coming up I´ve been thinking about things I want to do with them before our year is over. I´ve been working more creative assignments into my plans for subjects other than art, but with the end of the year fast approaching I think we´ll be painting a couple times a week. Even my shy guys come alive with art projects!


Ofsny´s Peaceable Kingdom


That´s a roll of stickers around my wrist, and after the picture Ofsny turned, smiled and stuck a little "Well Done" sticker to my shirt. Sneaky little cutie!

Amed´s Peaceable Kingdom

Love my crazies!

Eduardo sort of looks like he´s taking a bite out of Marvin´s head...
 After school I got reacquainted with my hammock. It had been too long. And the breeze from our porch is coveted. Some boys in the neighborhood stopped by to show off the scores of their English tests, and Maryann had the guitar out so they all (hysterically) gave it a go. Their laughs are a w e some. Two of them came back later with big bouquets of fresh-picked red beans for us. Random acts of kindness, and things I definitely never experienced in the States!




the wedding bouquet :)
can´t you just picture the white dress, the fancy hair, the bundle of beans!
Random words of wisdom on this lovely Thursday night: If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, the world would be a merrier world. Well put JRR Tolkein.

No comments:

Post a Comment