Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pre-Op Translations

What a week it has been! Monday and Tuesday were surprisingly great days, and Wednesday was just wonderful. The kids are really starting to develop, which is an incredible feeling. A few of my patience-testers had awesome participation today. I almost couldn't believe it when Kensy whipped her notebook out and started scribbling away sentences without me even having to repeat myself once. Put that one down in the books, because I can guarantee you it is a first! I know I say it a lot, but my kids are a lot of fun. They're always full of giggles. This week is supervision week or something like that, where Magda will pop into the classroom to see what we're like as teachers. She came into two of my classes Wednesday, and seemed very pleased with the work I'm doing. What a yay for me!

A surgical team from Barnabas arrived today, and I heard they might need help with translating this afternoon. They're spending the week about an hour and a half from the BHouse so they're closer to the hospital, but Wednesday they had to do pre-op interviews etc to get ready for the busy week ahead. I'm excited because I finally got to meet Nancy (Barnabas pres) so now I get to put a face to email. She's spending the weekend with the team in Sigua, and has invited me to come along so that could be great! It was neat translating for the anesthesiology, and I was able to learn some new vocab. Mmm I enjoyed some te de jamaica and fresh banana bread. I also had some beans and corn tortillas, so you know I was happy. I didn't get to know the team very well because they were busy getting the pre-op arranged and then back on the road for Sigua, but hopefully I'll get to spend some time with them this weekend.

This is the oral surgical team, so I saw some interesting faces today. It was neat talking to Nancy because she remembers some of the kids coming in as babies, and now she's seeing them as they grow and they heal from their surgeries. They have been able to make some incredible transformations. And I got to hold so many babies tonight. They were squishy and amazing. This one little guy was so full of life. Most of the kids were a little timid, and who wouldn't be, but this guy seemed like he couldn't be happier to be there. He was kicking his legs around and drumming on the table. Even at bedtime he had his fun little smile. Mom let me spend some time holding him before he had to turn in for the night, and I commented on how much fun he was. She assured me it was just because he seemed so taken with me, and that made me blush. Of course it brought up the fact that I don't have children, and being "my age" and single/childless earns me some interesting looks around here. I told her that right now my life is more suited to holding other people's babies.

I am having a hard time putting into words what it was like at the house tonight.Being surrounded by all those kids and families, helping the healers get the information they needed, bonding more with my Honduran family--all things for which I am greatful. Delilah wants to have me over and go swimming in the lake one day soon,  Pascuala wants me to stay with her for a couple of days, Nancy will be here the entire month of October and Melvin and I are going to get together for spiritual talk sometime in the near future. Those hours at the house tonight, it was like a breath of fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment